February 3, 2008 would go down in history as one of the biggest upset in NFL history. The New York Giants stunned the heavy favorite, the New England Patriots, in Glendale Arizona to capture the title of the Super Bowl XLII Champion.
So many historic moments were made on that day, but the following are the most notable:
- NY Giants became the FIRST team to win 11 consecutive games on the road.
- FIRST Super Bowl with 4 lead changes between the 2 teams played.
- FIRST time in NFL history for two brothers (Peyton and Eli Manning) to win back to back Super Bowl titles and MVP titles.
- FIRST time in NFL history where a father-son combination to win Super Bowl championships with the same team in the same capacity of linebacker and long snapper. (Steve DeOssie - XXV, Zak DeOssie - XLII).
- FIRST time in in NFL history for a team (Patriots) winning all 16 regular season games and all the playoff games ONLY to lose in the Super Bowl.
Photo: New York Giants linebacker Zak DeOssie held up a newspaper after the Giants beat the New England Patriots 17-14 in the Super Bowl XLII football game on Sunday, Feb. 3, 2008, in Glendale, Ariz. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip) ( David J. Phillip )